The 2030 Taiwan Tourism Policy Goals - increasing the number of inbound & in-country tourists in Taiwan, creating high-quality tourism environments and smart new services for tourists are the development priorities and goals of Taiwan's tourism industry. Nowadays,smart tourism is not just about providing information, or trip plans to tourists. Everything still has to come back to the needs of humans. For no doubt, it is a good thing to share information in an easy way, but any tourism solutions should not go away from what the users want. What should be done is to deepen travel experiences with technologies, while sharing relevant information and promoting local tourism.
When various kinds of mobile devices, social platforms, and big data applications emerging in recent years are re-shaping the tourism landscape, we should think about how to develop seamless mobile services to help create the optimum travel experiences in different scenarios and achieve the goal of smart tourism. Referencing international large-scale tourism competitions (UNWTO Tourism Startup Competition, Travel Tech Conference Russia, etc.), the theme of the Tourism Innovation & Tech Awards is about developing new tourism services, through mobile vehicles, online platforms, big data analysis applications and predictions, to provide travelers with more convenience experiences.
Besides, in response to COVID-19, we also hope to relieve the impact and support the society through gathering all the brilliant participants to brainstorm creative solutions together, finding possible solutions to assist the government- To Revitalize、Optimize and Transform the Tourism Industry.
1. Revitalize、Optimize and Transform the Tourism Industry
In response to COVID-19, MOTC hope to assist with the revitalization、optimization and transformation of the tourism industry; therefore, we encourage participants to work on the following topics:
(1) Apply latest technology into the tourism industry, such as natural disaster alarming software、Travel safely without COVID-19、Crowd reroute alarming system ; or service that could support the government with optimization of post-COVID19 resource distribution process, help to relieve the stressful situation government faced during the post-COVID period.
(2) Service、Software that could support Taiwan Tourism Industry on the road to upgrade and optimization. Level up tourist spot, hotel & hostel quality and so on, to promote a qualitative tourism digital transformation. To increase people’s willingness and confidence in travel by enhancing tourist experience through the description mentioned above.
2. Yearly travel themes of Tourism Bureau (pick one out of four)
With the Tourism Bureau announcing different themes for each year, it is hoped that the teams could develop their project based on the following themes: 2019 Small Town Ramble Year, 2020 Mountain Tourism Year and 2021 Cycle Tourism Year and 2022 Rail Tour Year. . Through incorporating latest technology to enhance travelers’ experience and to development different services, the outcome of the project under this category is hopefully an increase in both inbound tourists as well as domestic travel, due to the successful promotion of the yearly theme.
3. In sync with international standards and sustainable development
Using the UN’s 17 SDGs ( as listed below ) as the starting point, it is hoped to change how people think and how they travel, etc., and enhance economic benefits of local tourism with an integrated model that focuses on environmental protection, sustainable and cultural developments, as well as emerging technology.
In order to attract more teams with innovation ideas on travel and tourism from various countries, this competition is divided into two groups – commercialized or not commercialized, so that teams with mature technologies as well as those who have the ideas and yet to reach the commercialization phase can join in, making sure that extremely forward-looking and groundbreaking ideas still have a place to shine and not turned away due to high thresholds. Please see the followings for further description on the two groups:
The goal is to expand the developers’ imagination in tourism innovation and technology and by combining the materials provided in the competition resources area (or the future plan of how your project is going to utilize these competition resources) to encourage teams or companies create new conceptual works by picking one of the three major themes.
About the entries
1. The teams must select topics based on the three major themes and submit relevant demo videos, proposals and other materials about their creative concepts (Choosing which competition resource the teams plan to use in their project is also a must).
2. The teams entering the final must submit materials needed for demonstration in accordance with the announcement, and introduce the conceptual works at the site of Tourism Innovation & Tech Awards as a part of the evaluation process.
The works of teams or companies should be incorporating new technologies such as big data, AI, 5G, blockchain, smart robots, AR / VR, etc. to fix the pain points of tourism, optimize tourism experiences and upgrade tourism services. Choosing one of the three major themesfor each group’s entry and it can be service that has been commercialized before the announcement of the competition.
Noted: The materials in the competition resource area “must” be used, and the teams should be able to specify the differences of the works before and after using the provided database.
About the entries
1. The teams need to fill in the service launch time, submit the work's demo video and text description online, upload the work URL or app installation file download link, and specify the differences between the entry and the original work (The APP could be developed and planned ahead, or based on an existed product. Participating teams should incorporate the data provided in the “competition resources” area on the website, and mix with other private data for further development. The updated/upgraded items and extent should be indicated in the online registration form). At least one APP, WEB or service should be completed.
2. The teams entering the final must submit materials needed for demonstration in accordance with the announcement, and introduce the works at Tourism Tech Pavilion as a part of the evaluation process.